Thursday, December 15, 2011

Vintage adverts prove sexism is alive and well


As the year is coming to a close I decided just for the fun of it to go and look at some vintage adverts.  It did not take long before I wish I hadn’t.  I was horrified to discover so many vile sexist demeaning adverts that make women look like stupid little incompetent objects whose only purpose is to serve and be abused by her mighty male.  

Here are a few of some that I found on various different sites.

White male arrogance 







Violence against women and girls is still condoned in a male dominated society

Women are still property in this white male dominated society 


In a male dominated society men are always right and women are always wrong.



What most of them have in common is that in the center is an arrogant sexist white male who thinks he is lord and master while the poor little woman desperately tries to please him in.  

But what concerns me here is that these adverts are called vintage.  Now it is true that this title could well be construed as a correct title, but it does however create the belief that this kind of thing would never be tolerated in today’s society.

In reality that would be a very incorrect assumption as these adverts clearly depict the way males see themselves in relation to women today as much as they did when these ads were first designed.

Male on female abuse and violence is a huge problem and getting worse.  Men today believe it is their right to abuse women as demonstrated in the ad for “Do you still beat your wife.”
So what is the difference between this ad and today’s abuse that women face from men?

Today the world revolves around men and they are always right.  Women are always to blame for everything.  So how is this different to what is been expressed in the “Is a wife to blame if she doesn’t know.” Advert?

Men use and abuse women, they really don’t care much about helping women and when women do need help, well then they are just pathetic and helpless.  In the ad “men are better then women” we see two arrogant white males standing in all their white male glory while a poor woman who obviously can't climb as well as them because she is not a man, desperately tries to keep up with the mighty males.  Not only are these two white males so much better then women they are also too good and awesome to be concerned about the situation that she finds herself in.
So how is this advert different to what we see to day?  Men have no desirer to help women.  The only way women will be liberated from male domination is if they do it themselves.  

Frankly if I were able to redesign the advert, not only would the little incompetent woman successfully get up the mountain but she would also kick those two fucking sexist ass-holes right between the legs and then shove that pick-axe up their sexist white male assess. 

In fact if anyone has any ideas as to how any of these ads should be redesigned I would love to hear your suggestions.  


I find a similar problem with the “Put the finest label on your table” advert.  Here to we see two fucking white sexist arrogant white males who clearly believe that they are the dominant specie by simply being white and male, while the good little wife busies herself in order to ensure that their every need has been met.
I guess according to this advert the only need a woman has is to turn herself into a salve for the mighty male.  After all what other possible reason could a woman have to exist.

I could comment on the other ads and even provide further commentary on the ones that I have already referred to, but I am just too pissed off.  Not only are these adverts horribly demeaning but are still very much a reflection of what women today have to put up with.

It serves as a reminder that there is still so much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome provided they support radical feminism. MRAs and their like are not welcome. If radical feminism is not your thing, then this blog is not for you. Comments opposing radical feminism will not be posted as there are plenty of MRA sites where this can be done. This blog is for feminists who want to be feminists.